1-GHz (or higher) 32-bit (x86) processor
1 GB or more RAM
16 GB available hard-disk space
DirectX 9 graphics device with Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.0 or later driver
For touch — touch screen
For accessing the Windows Store and downloading and running apps — Internet connection, Microsoft account (formerly Live ID) and 1,024x768 (or greater) display
For sound — audio output
Product functionality and appearance might vary with system configuration.
This donation provides a full operating system license, not an upgrade, offered through Microsoft's Get Genuine Windows Agreement for Small and Medium Organizations program. Request one license for this product for each computer on which you will install it. It is available only to correct scenarios in which an organization has an existing PC with one of the following operating systems installed on it:
- Counterfeit, pirated, or otherwise illegal, unlicensed, or improperly licensed Windows operating system
- The standard edition of Windows 8
- Home Premium, Home Basic, or Starter editions of Windows 7 or Windows Vista
- Home or Starter editions of Windows XP
- Linux, FreeDOS, or other operating system
Once computers have genuine Windows, users can keep their current operating system up-to-date with the latest service packs and security updates by downloading them with Windows Update.
Windows 8 Pro is the professional edition of the latest Microsoft operating system. Compared to previous versions of Windows, it features enhanced performance, a modern interface with advanced touch support, cloud integration, greater security, and improved power efficiency. This 32-bit version operates on a computer with a 32-bit processor and 32-bit drivers.
Benefits for Organizations
You should consider requesting this product if you need to install the latest Windows operating system on a PC that falls under one of the licensing scenarios described above.
Special Rules for Get Genuine Product Requests
- Eligible organizations may place only one request ever for Get Genuine products.
- Requests for Get Genuine products may not contain any other products.
- During check-out, the Get Genuine Windows Agreement for Small and Medium Organizations must be accepted on behalf of the organization.
Note: Since Get Genuine products are part of the Windows Desktop Operating Systems title group, an organization's request for them will reduce the number of operating system upgrade products it may request in its current two-year donation cycle.
Software Assurance Not Included
Get Genuine products do not include the Software Assurance benefits that come with most other Microsoft software donations. If an organization installs a Get Genuine product, that product will not have the benefit of receiving a free upgrade to a newer version of Windows when it is released in the future. However, the Get Genuine product will provide a computer with a legal base operating system upon which Windows upgrade products that include Software Assurance benefits offered through TechSoup Nederland Program can be installed. Additionally, organizations that request Get Genuine products will be able to downgrade their donation to earlier Windows OS versions at no cost through the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
Installing Windows 8
Windows 8 Pro requires significant system resources, as detailed below. It is likely that PCs currently running an operating system older than Windows Vista might not be able to run Windows 8. For a good start on evaluating whether to upgrade, see TechSoup Nederland Program's Upgrading to Windows 8: Four Questions to Consider.
TechSoup Nederland Program recommends a "clean install" of the Windows operating system: The process is described in TechSoup Nederland Program’s How to Upgrade to Windows 8.
Important Volume Licensing Information With Windows 8, your organization can choose between two types of volume license keys for product activation: a Key Management Service (KMS) license key or a Multiple Activation Key (MAK). A Key Management Service (KMS) key for Windows 8 is available by default on the Microsoft Volume Licensing website; that is, this is the only type of key you will see unless you request a MAK.
A KMS key requires at least 25 computers on a network for activation. If your organization has fewer than 25 computers, you should request a MAK from the Volume Licensing website after receiving this product.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires installation media and a license key. The license key allows you to use the installation media to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for.
Expect three emails:
1. When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup Nederland Program will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
2. Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
3. TechSoup Nederland Program will send an email with information about managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.